Application packets will be accepted Monday through Friday (except county holidays) from 8:15 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Sheriff's Office.
- Walk-ins only.
- No appointments (other than for fingerprints) accepted.
- Incomplete or unreadable packets will not be accepted.
- Applicants must be 21 years of age at the time of application.
- A copy of your original, approved training certificate is required at the time of application.
- All fees are non-refundable.
- Concealed handgun permits require a criminal background check.
- Applications must be received by the Sheriff, Undersheriff, or designee.
- You must submit a concealed handgun permit application (new and renewal) to the county Sheriff’s Office where you reside, own property or own a business.
- See more information related to Concealed Handgun Permit Statutes & a current list of states that maintain Reciprocity and recognize Colorado permits in their states.
Applicants, please ensure your instructor is certified and approved by the Lake County Sheriff prior to your course.
- $50.00 permit fee payable to the Lake County Sheriff's Office (Cash or check).
- $52.50 Fingerprint and Background fee payable to CBI (Certified funds only).
- $25.00 with proof of firearms safety course and evidence of residency.
- $13.00 for CBI Instacheck. CBI payments must be in the form of a certified check or money order.
Note: There will be a $15.00 late fee for a total of $53.00 if the permit is expired, but not by six months or more. If the permit is expired more than six months, you must start the process as a new applicant.
View the current Lake County Sheriff's Office Fee Schedule.
ATTENTION FIREARMS INSTRUCTORS (Effective March 1, 2016):
Instructors conducting courses within Lake county MUST meet with the Sheriff and provide instructor credentials to include proof of instructor certification, license number, curriculum, and contact information. An annual verification of your instructor qualification will be completed prior to your certifications being accepted by the Lake County Sheriff's Office. Absolutely no "Online" courses will be accepted. Firearms familiarity (Range time) is preferred not not required.